Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Praise the Lord for Small Steps!





Wow...today was a long day. EG got up this morning at 3:00am and she would not go back to sleep....but she cried and cried and cried. Tried feeding her and that was not it and she was dry so that was not it. Chris and I can only assume that she must be grieving....because it was a different cry and she would not let me put her anywhere but on top of my chest. So we started very early this morning!!!! But I know that if she does not grieve then we can not move on...so all we did was hold her and tell her that it is going to be ok and that we will never leave her and we love her.

We then had to be downstairs to meet with Vicki(Rebecca's helper) to go for the medical exam, passport visa picture, passport pictures and above all SHOTS!!!! So we started out with the visa picture for EG to come to the US. Then we went down to another building right next to the picture place and started the physicals--BLAHHHHH!!!! Well the first check was for the measuring of her head and looking at the left thumb. The doctor said oh in the yes they will take care of that no problem. He looked at her thumb and then felt of her thumb joints and moved us to the next room. The next room was where they measured EG and weighed her. Then since we were right on the bubble with time and them going to lunch Vicki talked to them and they rushed us on through before they went to lunch. So the next room was for the ENT part of the exam...the doctor there held a squeaky toy to the side and squeased it and watched for EG reactions. Then he played a couple of notes on a small keyboard and watched her reaction again. Then he wanted to look in her throat and she kept biting down on the stick. LOL So he said ok and passed us on.

Then the last room was the shots!!!! We had to have 6 shots. She had 2 in left arm, 1 right arm, 3 in the legs. We gave her some tylenol before we left for this appt. and that was hoepfully knocking off the edge. But 6 SHOTS--nothing could take the edge off that. I held her for everything except the shots and Chris did that, so I was not the bad person there. EG just cried and cried and cried. I almost cried also--but I know this is a step we have to do before we can go home.

After this we all had about 1 1/2 hrs to shop and then meet to go to the police station for the passport pictures and paperwork. So with that there are no pictures because they will not let you do that in the police station. But we in the end of the day were given EG's vaccination record, birth certificate and paperwork to get her visa picked up in a few days. EG was extremely tired, she did not get her nap at 12:00.

When we finally got back to the room we attempted to feed EG and she would only eat part of the formula and would not have anything to do with the rest. So we ate a banana and some gerber puffs. We began playing in the floor and lo and behold we saw a smile!!! Yes, a small one but a smile at that. Then she began making some noices and interacting with me and Chris!!! We were so excited. Just when we thought today was a milestone.....EG kept trying to go to sleep and at 6:30 that was not going to happen if we could help it. So we went to the hallway here at the hotel and began walking up and down the hall...this was first also because till now she would not let us put her down!!! So we walked all the hallways to our floor and when we got back to the room.....SHE POOPED!!!!! I know that is not a major milestone, but it is for adopted children at first. Because they are to traumatized and stressed they usually do not poop for several days. Well if you lost count--today is DAY 3. So we were defintely excited about that because we know she is settling in a little bit.

So now everyone is in bed and I am finishing this post so I can go to bed--we will sightsee a small village tomorrow.

Praise the Lord!!!! for small steps!!!!

Burbank's

14 comments:

  1. Cant wait every day to check your blog. Cant wait to see the pictures or how Ms. Ella Grace is adapting. Still praying for you all there and so ready for you to get back to the states so we can meet her. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Max, Emma and I are thinking and praying for you guys. She is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue Beverly - I'm so glad to see another update. I was beginning to think you and Chris are definitely to busy now to keep us updated. It means so much to us because I know you must be getting very tired emotionally and physically. You must be "rung out"! I am praying for Ella Grace's emotions and her little heart to be comforted as she bonds with ya'll. Wow, to think that this time last week you were across the world and now you have her. We love you.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is an amazing love story. I know Ella Grace is traumatized, but it is beautiful to see the bonding. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. It makes us forget about the world and focus on the beauty of a Mom, Dad, and their baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was me. Jacquie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron, Grace Ann & ClaireFebruary 3, 2010 at 2:08 PM

    Absolutely! pooping is a big thing to adoptive parents!!!! Sounds like she is adjusting well. We are counting the days until we can meet her in person. Saying lots of prayers for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time for a poopy dance! Congratulations on adopting Ella Grace! We are so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Christa and Chris,
    Sue sent me your blog and I am so glad she did. I know the journey has been long but you are finally close to reaching the end. Ella Grace is adorable. I know you two will be the best parents ever. She is so blessed to have found you both. I'm praying for your safe return and look forward to more entries on your blog. Donna Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fist off, love the bow! So glad she got to wear one and I bet you didn't have to use toothpaste to keep it in. lol I cried when you said she smiled. I know ya'll are going to be the wonderful loving parents that E.G. needs. It's hard when they cry and you can't do anything to help them, especally in the middle of the night. Our prayers are still with you. Give her hugs and kisses from her Kress cousins. (Cale asked me if i was a grandma now that ya'll have E.G. hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris & Christa, I just have tears in my eyes reading your story ... Ella Grace is so blessed beyond her imagination!!!! She is so beautiful and I think you all are doing great!!! Know RJ & I love you all and our prayers are with you ... the LORD will Himself give you wisdom in abudance and bless EG with quick adjustment and love for you both!!! Haven't read all the blogs but wondering if EG has heard any English before...she will pick it up so quickly!!! Mama and Daddy will be first I'm sure ~ Can hardly wait to meet her in person!!!

    Judi (aka Mimi :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're doing so good, it sounds like she is settling in and getting used to you. The nights will get easier, just keep holding her and reasuring her and everything will be fine. How does it feel to be a MOM???!!!! We worry about EVERYTHING, including poop!
    Love ya
    Tina, Tim and Reed

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah....Im so excited for an update. I love all the pictures. Just look at her...so beautiful. Yall are doing great and each day it was get easier.
    We never stop worrying...that is what WE Moms do best.

    Hugs to Mama and Daddy! One more week and you guys will be home.

    Love
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a precious beauty! We are so thrilled for you all and can't wait to meet her.....but most of all, we can't wait until Emma is home too and all is well and we can have a play date! :0) Woo-hoo........girl time!! :p Thank you for sharing your journey with us all!!!
    Love, blessings and prayers to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chris & Christa-So excited for you two and that precious little one. Someday she will come to realize just how blessed she is to have been chosen by such wonderful parents. You guys are wonderful and we are all praying for you back home. Be safe and save some hugs and kisses for the folks back home. Love you all..Tony and Lisa Vest

    ReplyDelete